November 2015 Surgery Buddies

Welcome to HealthRcovered's Surgery Buddies Forums. Join the thread for the month you’re scheduled for surgery and introduce yourself to our community. You can learn more about preparing for surgery by reading our doctor approved Back Surgery and Neck Surgery Articles and watch Surgery Videos.
36 posts / 0 new
Last post
RunnerHKT
RunnerHKT's picture
Title: Member
Welcome All! I have to admit

Welcome All! I have to admit, NNantz, I'm having a minimally invasive L5/S1 fusion and I have been told 4 weeks, and actually really 2 weeks and 2 weeks of work from home (we VPN in a lot).
My Pre admit testing is on 10/29....and really, I am just ready to be done with it because from what I'm reading this is not going to be too nice for a while!

advertisement
Patricia54
Patricia54's picture
November surgery

Hi everyone. I found this site last night because I wanted to hear from the people facing surgery and what issues or advice I can get. I am having an extensive lumbar surgery that is suppose to take 8 hours, and there will be a co-surgeon too who will cut my stomach and move things out of the way. I will also have cuts on my side and my back. I have a herniated disk pressing on my nerves, weakness in my legs and pain. I also have osteoarthritis and my spine is curved. I will be having fusions too, and I guess my biggest fear is postop mobility and fear of moving the wrong way and messing something up. It would be nice to hear your stories and progress. Good luck to everyone on this thread, I hope your operation is successful and helps with your pain.
Thanks..... Pat

Paty

NNantz
Welcome!

Welcome Patricia!

Runner, I truly hope that the Doctor was exaggerating when he said 2 to 3 months. I believe that he was doing worse case scenario since he doesn't have a new MRI. My Doc that gave me my epidurals said that I could probably go back to work sooner. Another guy with our company had L5-S1 fusion and went back after one week but he had permission to sit in his office. I will be having the decompression surgery as well. I can't wait to see the latest MRI and how everything has changed.

You and I need to keep posting every day after our surgery. I want people to hear the positive! [ Smile ]

Nancy
"Coming in November 2015"
L4-5 decompression with L5-S1 fusion

rechinca
Patricia54, I am having

Patricia54, I am having similar surgery in that they are going through the front (ALIF) and back (PLIF), but nothing through the side. They are using a general surgeon due to going in through the front and back (general is required in this area for safety precautions when going in through the front). I was told approx 8 hours for my surgery too. I have a co-worker who used the same surgeons who are doing mine and she had similar surgeries. She said the best part was when she woke up and the nerve pain was gone. She has not had it since (July 1) and is only having some of the normal pain from the surgery. My doctor is positive that my outcome will be good. I have heard more positives than negatives.

Being a football coach in high school, I have to take the advice I give my players: This is ours to take! Mind over matter, believe in the process, have the mental toughness and success will be decided on your course of action. Every day is a battle to become better. You must compete everyday in every way to achieve success. Set your goals and do not let anyone tell you, you can't do this.

To that I say lets go folks! We have success if we are willing to work for it!

RunnerHKT
RunnerHKT's picture
I am feeling pretty positive

I am feeling pretty positive about the upcoming date NNantz! My big fear right now is that I did allow some resident physicians to be the assist for my surgery.... since I know them from work, I believe they will be super careful, but one never knows.
I think they will not allow a posting I made earlier, but I found SEVERAL successful fusion video diaries on Youtube where people did a short video each day of recovery. I found that so many people were up and somewhat active just days after the procedure, and still doing well months after that it did encourage me. So If you check out youtube you might find some encouragement.

Patricia, as I said in the post that apparently wasn't approved (It may show up in a day!) Most of the surgeries do require that type of assist. it sounds strange, but it's common. I see many Hip replacements also require as assisting surgeon, but a lot of people are unaware that they had a second surgeon in the procedure. I will have the anterior incision, and percutaneous screws thru the back, as my surgeon is trying to preserve as much muscle on me as possible.

But honestly at this point, if I could just get out of bed without fear of intense pain, I'd be pretty excited... 13 more days!

Pages

advertisement