Letter to Normals from a Person with Chronic Pain & The Spoon Theory

Welcome to HealthRcovered’s Chronic Pain patient community. You can also read doctor approved Chronic Pain Articles and watch Chronic Pain Videos.
198 posts / 0 new
Last post
dea-lynn
Title: Member
I think the most frustrating

I think the most frustrating thing is when the DOCTORS, PTs, and NURSES say "you don't seem to be I'm that much pain" or my favorite that I've personally got from an ER Dr was " if u can play on ur tablet then your pain can't possibly be that high" I was there for an uncontrolled migraine that had chamged from my 'normal' daily migraines and had been going on for 4days at that point and the dr refuSed to give me medication.....

Or when they see that u have a chronic problem so they ask what usually helps, again in ER, and when u tell them they put it in ur chart as a demand for narcotics...

Pure craziness

Dea-Lynn

advertisement
Thonoutmypain
Thonoutmypain's picture
A Thank you

I just joined this group & this is the 1st. post I've read. It is exactly what I have been trying to say, for to many years. It actually brought me to tears, something I very rarely do. THANKS YOU.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ healthrecovered moderator, savage

MaryAnn

Anguished Sufferer
letter to normals... This speaks volumes.

This is very well worded and in consideration of our daily suffering quite short but yet says it all so clearly. I personally have suffered since 2009 with chronic neuropathic pain and had been forced to return to work until recently, massive back spasm while at work sent me to hospital. Been home since July but reading the "Letter to Normals" reminds me of the early days when a co-worker upon my return from 10 months off said "must be nice to have had such a long paid holiday" (I was flabbergasted) but pre warned on this behaviour in my pain management course to expect this type of response from some people (those that given the same "accident" at work would fake theirs symptoms and assume you have done the same) Knowing this and the fact this specific co-worker said this was no surprise after the initial shock, my only reply was "I would not wish this pain on my own worst enemy"
Also some people have visited from other branch offices (not in my area) over the years and all seem to say the same thing, "your looking well, your moving fine.".. until I show them the sticky pads all over my back and the copper infused sleeves on my legs do they sit in silent shock...yeah I am moving fine (as well as I can today) just to earn my pay so I can live & pay my bills. I was never really a hugger but man do I miss being able to get a hug without feeling excruciating pain, to all those that feel misunderstood or left out of life due to pain know that you are not alone, virtual hugs........ Take care out there.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

Anguished Sufferer
Absolutely

This happens constantly, chalk it up to they are busy and don't have time for frequent visitors (I wish the day would come a doctor would like to stop and take the opportunity to inquire if they could study my case to learn more and maybe make a medical breakthrough by delving deep into the matter) As not one doctor and I have seen my fair share and then some on the matter of my disability has ever even asked "what my pain tolerance was prior to my injury" as I actually had a very high pain tolerance before my accident and over these last six years it has been dwindling, but the doctors seem to lump us all into the same box called "Chronic" and close the book on us.

Michee
I can so relate

This letter hits home. Just had convo with step-daughter 2 days ago about suggestion of trying to find some sort of miracle surgery in another country. I know she is only trying to be helpful but I just feel like sometimes people make all these suggestions but they don't understand what it's really like. I tried to explain this way too, I told her that I have tried (she knows this too) many different therapies, treatments and medications. Also, it took me a long time of hearing from my doctors that I will not get better, but need to learn how to manage my pain for me to accept this. No, I'm not depressed. I have accepted this and have investigated all these miracles on my own, only to be told I am not a candidate. No, I haven't given up and will discuss alternatives with my health-care providers. Somedays it is frustrating but I know it comes from a place of love. I do have lots of support and understanding in my life. For this I am so grateful.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information

dea-lynn
exactly

Anguished Sufferer wrote:
This happens constantly, chalk it up to they are busy and don't have time for frequent visitors (I wish the day would come a doctor would like to stop and take the opportunity to inquire if they could study my case to learn more and maybe make a medical breakthrough by delving deep into the matter) As not one doctor and I have seen my fair share and then some on the matter of my disability has ever even asked "what my pain tolerance was prior to my injury" as I actually had a very high pain tolerance before my accident and over these last six years it has been dwindling, but the doctors seem to lump us all into the same box called "Chronic" and close the book on us.
.... exactly u hit the nail righton the head....I know that for me personally, as I am sure is also true for many of us, my "breaking point"( going to the ER) is much higher then that of a normal person

I have literally been in the ER and heard a woman screaming that she was in severe pain (she may have been) for a large splinter in her foot. She said it was an 8. Well she must have heard me say I was in a 9/10 for my status migraine (x5days) because when she heard me getting called back first she began yellung "she's faking how can she be in that much pain and be acting 'normal'" U learn to deal unfortunately...
My old neurologist was very concerned about my pain levels and was frusyrated because he couldn't help me..
I did get lucky there. Not so much with pain management and spine surgeons though Sad

Dea-Lynn

Rod eric
Chronic pain

Guys I'm new to spine health, been a reader for sometime, enjoyed enough to join.. I've suffered from spine woes since 1976, had minor 2level lamat l6 in 2009, April 1, fuse c2-t2 ,frt. Lam.at 7, relieved falling alone with numbness. Problem with pain above waistline requies another fuse l2-l5, ft lam at 5 ,these surgery's stem from scoliosis, stenosis,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rod,

Unfortunately, this is not the best spot to make a post like you did. You will not receive that much attention here. People like at this thread when they want to look at the Letter that was talked about in the opening dialogue. I would suggest that you open this one up in something like the Chronic Pain forum category

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/28/15 16:15

Pages

advertisement