bioethics of pain contracts

Welcome to HealthRcovered’s Chronic Pain patient community. You can also read doctor approved Chronic Pain Articles and watch Chronic Pain Videos.
27 posts / 0 new
Last post
happyHBmom
happyHBmom's picture
Title: Member
T9, the first one I saw was

T9, the first one I saw was written by a doctor who thought he was doing patients a favor by seeing them. It was awful. I not only never saw him again, I complained to to ortho who referred me (not just about the contract- but about the fact that although I told him what was wrong, he didn't believe me and blew me off. He even had the nerve to run his hand down my spine and say "everything looks OK to me." Yes, everything except the MISSING VERTEBRAE! Which, by the way, is easy to feel).

But the two I've signed have been 2-way contracts that simply lay out the rules of engagement. Very polite and respectful.

advertisement
Aviatrix36440
Aviatrix36440's picture
2 - Way

happyHBmom wrote:
But the two I've signed have been 2-way contracts that simply lay out the rules of engagement. Very polite and respectful.

I've only seen a couple of them (neither of which did I sign), and they were all on the patient and their compliance. Now a 2-way contract, that is what I was talking about - both parties have rules to go by. Not bad, not bad at all. Smile

Brenda

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

Numbskull
Numbskull's picture
I'm so glad I don't have to

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with all of this, and am not looking forward to the day I might have to!! I'm thankful for you posting this Starshine, it does give great feedback from both the site you gave, and members, I will definitely keep it all in mind.

Kelly
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

Aviatrix36440
Aviatrix36440's picture
Admin Dave

Curious? Why was her link removed? It is an "org" site verses commercial, so just curious as I've been tempted to post some "org" sites. Don't want to waste my or your teams time if "org" sites are a no-no. Thanks in advance.

Brenda

virginiap
virginiap's picture
pain contracts

Starshine wrote:
It is an agreement not a binding contract but take time to listen to what is on this site.
.... Dr. should use their skills and ability to decide who needs a contract. It is the communication you have with the dr. that can determine to him or her if you need one.(this is from tapes)

....And it is the doctors responsibility to detect this.

Hi Starshine, I haven't heard the tape, I will pm for link

But from what little law I studied and from knowledge of E & O, consistency is crucial on many levels. These contracts may not be legally binding contracts, but more so an agreement albeit bi or unilaterally, the doctor either uses them or not. It may be construed as discrimination if one patient is asked to sign and not another. Do you see where I am going with this? Even though the doctor as a trained professional, can spot out issues, especially the more experienced physicians.

If he asks one guy to sign, that guy may know his friend didn't sign, and may think... is it the color of my skin, my type of work, my income level, the way I dress or look?

Now, the PM may be picking up very evident RED flags from this guy, and may feel obligated to do his due diligence, but you can see how one may twist it into something negative and believe me there will be an attorney who will agree that this guy has been discriminated against..... an audit of just contracts vs total patient base could be used against the doctor. Even though he was doing what he felt best to protect himself & his practice from a possible issue with this specific patient.

So in my in my opinion and from what little I know, if the doc uses contracts, he needs to have every patient sign them.

Ps, my pm uses bi-lat contracts, and has even new patient seen for a psych eval.

Nice topic of discussion,

Virginia

Kris-NY
My guess

My guess is that it was removed because it was a company that provided bio-ethics consulting to paying members. Just because it says .org does not mean it is reputiable or unbiased.

Robin
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information Starshine.I was lucky enough to get to it last night before it was removed,and I think it's important to view things that interest or involve me from different perspectives before coming to a single idea or thought process on a subject.Generally because we are all so different even lifes experiences can make a big difference in how a person feels about,or sees these contracts.

Aviatrix36440
Aviatrix36440's picture
Nodding

Kris-NY wrote:
My guess is that it was removed because it was a company that provided bio-ethics consulting to paying members. Just because it says .org does not mean it is reputiable or unbiased.

The "pay to be a member" has come to mind with me as well. It's a service option I guess. Smile

Brenda

terror8396
terror8396's picture
contracts

i am not a lawyer but i believe a dr can drop a patient any time they want to and i believe they don't need a reason. i don't think they need a contract. they could say they are cutting down or they feel that another ddr can treat you more effectively. like i said i don't know the legalities. a contract signed or not won't keep a dr with a patient. i don't know the ethics of refusing to see you. i think if they wanted to they could think of a reason contract or not. this would be an interesting question for a lawyer to answer. i can ask my dr next time because he tells me of stories of dropping patients but usually it has to do with abusing drugs or workman comp issues. they could make your appt more of a hassle and uncomfortable mentally to get rid of you. i would think this as unethical myself but if they can drop you they can. if someone knows and not guesses please let us know. years ago i had a dr who retired and his co-worker hassled me about my meds and would not prescribe them for me. i got p.....................................ed and dropped them.
jon perry mason

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

Numbskull
Numbskull's picture
Good question

I just googled that Jon, and came up with this from emedicinehealth.com:

Abandonment

The doctor has the duty to continue a patient's health care after consenting to provide medical care unless the patient no longer requires treatment for the illness. The doctor must notify the patient and transfer care to another acceptable doctor if planning to withdraw care. The doctors may be charged with negligent abandonment for ending the relationship with the patient without appropriate referral, transfer, or discharge. Although doctors are free to choose which patients they will treat, doctors should offer optimal care for patients who need emergency first-aid treatment.

Kelly
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

Pages

advertisement