Severe leg pain after lumbar fusion - damage to nerve from screw?

Welcome to HealthRcovered’s Degenerative Disc Disease patient community. You can also read doctor approved Degenerative Disc Disease Articles and watch Degenerative Disc Disease Videos.
26 posts / 0 new
Last post
UniqueNess
UniqueNess's picture
Title: Member
Encouragement For The Future

Firich wrote:
Really feeling for everyone who has commented above. Spinal problems are life ruining and cause so much distress to those of us suffering them and to our families. I have had problems since 2008 when my first disc bulged at L4-L5. Had discectomy in 2009.... It re bulged within 3 months. Had to resign from work a year later as had spent most of that time on leave, hospitalised a further three times. Finally had spinal fusion in July 2012 L4-L5 and L5-S1. This appeared to have worked until recently when my back has started to hurt again, and then this weekend my right leg developed severe sciatica and weakness and back pain increased. I am back in hospital, scans show nothing.... Have had MRI and CT but I'm wondering how much they can see over all the plates and screws? Also if this pain has occurred so suddenly surely something is wrong that has triggered it? To top it off my bladder is now not functioning and I have had to be catheterised. I am only 39 years old. This condition is so debilitating. Wishing everyone all the best for a pain free future. Fiona Smile

EFarquharson

advertisement
UniqueNess
UniqueNess's picture
Encouragement For The Future

We are all responsible for our own health; you have too continue to have a POSITIVE attidude towards your own health. Take one-day at a time, and live your best life today and now. Travel do things, don't always have a poor me party. volunteer somewhere or you may still have a job, good for you. Fight back!! For me my right leg is giving me hell but am not having no more surgery....more surgery, more problem.

LIVE...LOVE...LAUGH!!

EFarquharson

CTest123
Right leg pail after l4/l5 decompression and fusion

Had decompression and fusion. I must admit I can walk now. So, some things you gain, some things you lose...but that is not being clear by surgeons.

farrin
Leg

Hi..... i'm a student ,(female). I'm 22.... I don't have any pain in my leg....... but while walking...... at certain angle..... i feel severe nerve pain in right leg thigh near the place where it joins with hip ( front side) and in the buttocks ( back side).... at that time i could not even move a step further..... and after some time the pain vanish and i could not feel any pain I can walk perfectly normal..... then again when i step in certain angle i get the pain........ approximately this happens alternatively for every 20 steps...... I did't had this problem before....... I'm having this problem for only last two days. And i have the pain only in my right leg........ Doctors please help........

There are no medical professionals on the forum, any responses will be from members with personal experiences

bonnyl56
Fusion of l3-4, l4-5, l5-s1 in 2009

All I can say is this is so sad! I too had fusion in December of 2009 and woke up with both legs from the hip to the knee on the outside literally feeling on fire! I was told the nerves were irritated because of the length of time on my stomach;[ the entire surgery was 11.75 hours with 6.
75 on my stomach and the remainder on my back]. Not knowing any different I continued this way all the way to current. Every time I saw the NeuroSurgeon for a followup for two (2) years I mentioned it and he said to 'give it time'. I finally saw a paim dr in 2014 who placed me on Lyrica and on a pain patch Butrans. . . honestly, I don't see much difference. She wants me to do the spinal stimulator but I am hesitant. I am scheduled for an MRI on Friday from new Ortho Spine Surgeon. I am the oldest so far in this group (59) I can't believe all this. I don't know if the stimulator is a good idea or not. . . any thoughts? I

bonnyl

Pages

advertisement